Tass is a full screen threaded newsreader, inspired by the Plato Notes
I wrote Tass because I "learned" the Usenet on Notes and couldn't stand rn.
Iaian Lea added many features to Tass and renamed it to Tin
(Tin stands for Tass + Iaian's Newsreader).
Thu Sep 19, 1996 12:17pm
1 rec.games.pbm 95
2 sci.crypt 439
-> 3 news.software.readers 509
4 comp.os.linux.misc 3050
5 rec.arts.startrek.current -
6 rec.games.design 169
7 rec.arts.sf.written 1751
New Version - Tass 3.6.4
Changes from 3.4 [Al Smith ]
- Unified tass and rtass programs
- Nice defines in Makefile for NNTP/SPOOL decisions.
- Multiple index directories/.newsrc files possible
- (eg if news is read off more than one NNTP server)
- Bug with stuff_nntp if a string longer than NNTP_STRLEN
was output by the server.
- More environment variable recognition (NNTPNAME et al)
- Geoff Collyer's overview database is used
- Complete (almost) NNTP support added
- Fixed the way tass handles a group with unread articles which have
all expired [Thanks to firstname.lastname@example.org]
Changes from 3.5
- NNTP_USER and NNTP_PASS can be set to use commercial nntp
servers which require authentication (such as zippo.com,
alt.net and supernews.com).
- TASS_ACTIVE can be set to keep the active file around, so
nntp startup is faster.
- Searches now use real regex's, not simple match or globs.
Real regexes are needed now that the active file has 20,000
newsgroups in it.
- There is a new progress indicator when the active file is
obtained via nntp, and when the nntp overview files are obtained.
Thanks to Michael Haardt
for contributions to the latest versions.
Tass 3.6.4 (tar, gzip)
(tested on Solaris and BSDI)